Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Restaurant-style Korean BBQ Recipes You Can Make At Home

Fortunately for us home cooks, great Korean BBQ recipes are easily accessible. There are TV programs, cable shows, books and websites all dedicated to featuring authentic Korean barbecue.

I do enjoy the atmosphere and dcor of a good Korean BBQ restaurant, though. As a kid I lived two blocks from one. It was on the corner and it seemed so mysterious with its cryptic writing and red double doors that were never open and inviting.

Oh but the delicious smells that would often waft through the air from its kitchen. My mom and I swore we would go there one day - like kids who made a pact to investigate some spooky old house. And we finally did, too. When we visited the restaurant (my brother was with us), the proprietor seemed quite surprised to see a neighborhood mom and her two sons patronizing his establishment.

"You eat Korean food??", he asked us several times in his wonderfully polite manner and limited English. My mom and I still laugh about that to this day. The coolest thing, though, was cooking our meat on that table-top hibachi/grill! I'm gonna get me one of those one day, so help me... Anyway.

I have several Korean BBQ recipes that I'd like to share with you, but the one I'm featuring here is known as Kalbi or Galbi. It's made from thin-sliced beef short ribs that have been marinated and grilled. This cut of meat is also known as chuck short ribs or flanken short ribs.

My local supermarket stocks these ribs fairly often and I buy several packs when they do (if they're Choice grade). You shouldn't have any trouble finding them. If you do, check your local Asian grocery stores. The Korean markets I frequent always carry them, even if they are a bit pricey. They're always of good quality, though.

Featured Korean BBQ Recipes: Kalbi

Prep Time: 8 hours
Cook Time: 6 min

Total Time: 8 hours and 6 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 4-6 lbs flanken short ribs
  • 1-1/2 cups soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup sesame oil
  • 4 garlic cloves minced or smashed
  • 1 small onion sliced
  • 3 green onions chopped
  • 2 tbls roasted sesame seeds
  • 1 tbls fresh ginger grated or minced
  • 2 tsp red pepper flakes
Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
  2. Put the short ribs in a non-reactive container or plastic freezer bag and marinate them in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours. Make sure marinade is covering the meat. Flip the meat over after four hours to make sure all pieces marinate evenly.
  3. At the end of 8 hours, remove the meat from the refrigerator and the marinade and let it come close to room temperature (approximately 45 min.).

    (Note: I like to put the leftover marinade in a pot and boil rapidly for about 10 minutes to reduce it a bit. Stir it frequently or it might burn due to the high sugar content. After boiling, let the sauce simmer until your meat is cooked. You can then serve some of the sauce over your rice or use it in your vegetable stir-fry).
  4. While the ribs are coming to room temperature, start your coals and get your grill going. You're going to cook the meat quickly over high heat, so you want your coals really hot -- around 400F.
  5. Once your coals are nice and hot, oil your grill grates so the meat won't stick. Add the short ribs and cook 3 - 4 minutes per side, turning once.

Once the meat is done, remove it from the grill and let it rest for 5 minutes. Now serve with sticky rice and veggies and enjoy!

(Mary, my co-worker makes Kalbi, too. I may have to pay her royalties for this picture, though).


Korean BBQ recipes Here are some Korean BBQ recipes so you can create your own special Korean BBQ cookout. ... But you don't have to have in-table grills to enjoy Korean BBQ at home; you ... Korean Barbecue (Chicken) Korean Cooking Recipes Korean Food ... Korean barbecue has come a long way to become popular in the American mainstream food market. Most people seem to fall in love with Korean barbecue after trying it ... Restaurant-style Korean BBQ Recipes You Can Make At Home Kalbi From My Korean BBQ Recipes. Fortunately for us home cooks, great Korean BBQ recipes are easily accessible. There are TV programs, cable shows, books and ... Korean Barbecue Beef, Marinade 1 Recipe at Epicurious.com Find the recipe for Korean Barbecue Beef, Marinade 1 and other beef recipes ... its smell will make your mouth water. Once you try Korean barbecue, it ... home ... Korean BBQ @ Home Tasty Meals At Home Korean BBQ at home, simple or ... I love your recipes as always. I love korean bbq! When I go I usually get the egg soup. I am wondering if you could how to make a ... How to Cook Korean BBQ at Home eHow.com How to Cook Korean BBQ at Home. South Korean ... From Barbecue to Kimchi, Recipes from My Home"; Cecilia Hae-Jin Lee; January 2005 "The Korean Table: From Barbecue to ... Authentic Kalbi Recipe Korean Recipes Korean BBQ Marinade ... Prepare Korean Barbeque short ribs at home with this simple and delicious Kalbi - Galbi Marinade recipe with photos. Gluten-Free variation included. Korean-style BBQ Short Ribs Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network Get this all-star, easy-to-follow Food Network Korean-style BBQ Short Ribs recipe from BBQ with ... FoodNetwork.com Home; Recipes & Cooking; Quick & Easy; Healthy Eating ... Kimchi Recipe: My Easy How To Make Kimchi At Home My Kimchi Recipe: The easiest way for making Kimchi at Home, You can make kimchi using my kimchi recipes and ... Korean Barbecue; Korean Restaurants ; Korean Drinks; Korean Sauces ... Easy Korean Food: Learn About Korean Cooking And Cuisine with ... The Korean Barbecue is common at restaurants throughout South Korea, You basically cook your own food, You can recreate this at home with some of my recipes or visit a ...

No comments:

Post a Comment