Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Venison Steak Recipes - Just Keep It Simple

It took me a good long time to finally get my mits on some venison. I'd always been told that the taste would be "gamey" and the meat itself tough. Fortunately, the latter statement was not my experience. My venison steaks were VERY tender.

But the part about the "gamey" taste? Well... I'd have to agree with that assessment. Still, when trying venison steak recipes, I wanted something simple. I still wanted to taste the venison.

Now as you can see from the photo below, venison is quite lean. My venison steaks had little to no marbling at all. Marbling, of course, is just another word for fat. And fat equals flavor and moisture.

With these points in mind, I'm featuring two very simple venison steak recipes that both tenderized the meat and helped with its moisture content.

Again, though, this is my first outting with venison so I'm no expert. Not yet, at least. However, these venison steak recipes yielded great results.

As with most steaks, we're going with high heat and short cooking times here. My steaks were about 1/2 inch thick and I like mine medium rare. So before I get to the actual recipes, here's how I set-up my grill.

Grill Set-up

When setting-up my grill, I went for high heat of 450F to 500F or more. I also had two heat zones - high heat and low heat (see photo). The hottest side of my grill averaged 550F. Perfect for searing and quick grilling. Now for the recipes.

Venison Steak Recipes (I)

Prep Time: 12 hours
(Includes 5 minutes to make the marinade and overnight refrigeration)
Cook Time: 8 minutes

Total Time: 12 hours and 8 minutes

Marinade: (For two 8oz venison steaks, 1/2 inch thick)

  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 Tbls soy sauce
  • 1 Tbls Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tbls Lawry's seasoned salt
  • 1 Tsp granulated garlic
  • 1 Tsp white vinegar

Directions:

  1. In a large freezer bag or non-reactive bowl, combine steaks with marinade ingredients above.
  2. Make sure steaks are well coated on both sides. Refrigerate for 12 hours or overnight, being sure to turn steaks at the half-way point for even flavoring.
  3. When you're ready to grill your steaks, remove them from the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature. While waiting for the steaks, set-up your grill for two heat zones as demonstrated above.
  4. When your grill is ready, remove steaks from the marinade (do not rinse) and place on the grill.
  5. Grill steaks for 3-5 minutes per side, turning once.
  6. When steaks are done, remove them from heat and let them rest for 5 minutes.
  7. Now eat these rascals!!

Venison Steak Recipes (II)

This next recipe is even more simple than the previous one: Simply marinate your venison steaks in equal parts Italian salad dressing and low sodium soy sauce. That's it.

But with this recipe you only marinate the meat for 6 to 8 hours. I marinated some venison cutlets for 24 hours using this recipe and even with my very low sodium Korean soy sauce the meat was waaaaay too salty.

You can try marinating for 12 hours, but I recommend no more than 8 to start with. You can always add a little salt to your meat when eating it, but you can't remove the salt if you've used too much.

I wouldn't really call this salad one of my venison steak recipes, but it was absolutely delicious. The meat was thin-sliced, grilled venison that had been marinated in Italian salad dressing and soy sauce. The salad was seasoned with fresh cracked pepper, dried celery, and had two types of lettuce, garden-fresh cherry tomatoes, and Italian parsley.

See!! Meat can be healthy, too!!



Marinated Venison Steaks Recipe - Allrecipes.com ... Oregon, Janelle Inkens writes, 'These venison steaks ... Simple recipes for busy school nights. Low-Cal ... time to marinate these, so instead I just baked the steaks in ... easy steak recipes - Man Tested Recipes Steak recipes found here have simple instructions for beginning cooks, but ... We just wouldn't do that to you, pal. ... venison / vegetables / 2 people / ... Venison Recipes - Allrecipes.com (Pg. 1) See how to keep meat from ... This is just a recipe I threw together one day when I had some deer round steak to use up! ... and spicy, this is a simple venison steak ... Venison Steaks with Cracked Black Pepper recipe - All recipes UK Sounds simple - but succulent, tender, flavourful venison doesn't need anything else! ... Recipes; Video; Summer; How to; Pictures; Cooks; My stuff + Add my recipe Deer Meat/Venison Recipes - Hide Tanning and Taxidermy Taxidermy ... Favorite deer meat/venison recipes and cooking techniques ... Simple and easy deer meat cooking ... Keep an eye on your water level before taking ... Venison Recipes- Deer Recipes Keep steaks warm by placing them on an ovenproof ... our venison roast products for this venison recipe Just ... to drain the fat off with lean venison. Here are 2 simple ... Steak Diane Recipe Simply Recipes Excellent recipe and a very simple way to make steak, though, I must admit that I have JUST managed to make it right ... I've got some venison steaks in my freezer that ... Easy Venison Steak Recipes ifood.tv ... easy venison steak recipes ... video is just right for you. Watch the chef prepare this simple yet delicious Grilled Venison ... bag, add venison cubes, secure the top and keep ... Keep it Simple Recipes Keep it simple recipes and more free recipes in the simple section of kiss recipes. ... Crockpot Elk Chili Regular Crock Pot Chili Recipe. Venison Steak Chili Mexican ... Easy Venison Steaks Recipe - Food.com - 56523 ... Easy Venison Steaks Recipe ... just throw it away. My man loves venison this way. ... lot of venison and have many delicious recipes. This one definitely rates high! very simple ...

No comments:

Post a Comment